Getting more to retire on all about timing

Get advice before you make personal tax-deductible concessional super contributions

By Noel Whittaker    27 May 2018  Sunday Times

I’ve extolled the virtues of the change in superannuation rules that allow you to claim a tax deduction for personal concessional contributions, even if your employer is contributing for you.

But make sure you take advice before you make the contribution.

It’s a minefield of paperwork and getting it wrong could mean loss of all or part of the tax deduction.

You have to submit a valid notice of intent to claim a deduction to the super fund trustee in the required time.

You then need to get acknowledgment from the trustee that it’s been received before you can claim a tax deduction.

The timing of these actions in relation to your contribution and what you do next is important.


Allen makes a personal contribution to his fund in April 2018, intending to claim it as a deduction.

He doesn’t submit a notice of intent at the time.

In September, he rolls his three super funds into a new fund that offers investment options more suited to his goals.

In early October, Allen is ready to do his tax and lodges a notice of intent to claim a deduction for personal super contributions with the fund that now holds the rollovers.

But the notice is invalid as he has not made any personal contributions to the new fund.

The notice would also be invalid if he sent it to the old fund (where he made the contribution) for two reasons: first, when he gives the notice in early October, he is no longer a member of the fund and second, the fund no longer holds his contributions. Allen has lost his entire tax deduction for the contribution.


Jo’s $50,000 super fund consists of a tax-free component of $27,500 and a taxable component of $22,500.

She makes a $25,000 personal contribution in February 2018, bringing the balance to $75,000.

The fund records this against the contributions segment.

To this end, that amount would be counted against the tax-free component of a super benefit paid to her.

In June 2018, she rolls over $50,000, leaving $25,000.

The $50,000 rollover is comprised of a $35,000 tax-free component and a $15,000 taxable component.

The tax-free component of the remaining superannuation interest is $17,500.

As the super fund no longer holds the entire $25,000 contribution, the maximum she can claim as a deduction is $8333.


Harry’s super balance is $175,000.

He makes a $25,000 contribution in March 2018, taking the balance to $200,000.

Before lodging a notice of intent, he started a pension using $150,000 of his fund.

Because his fund has started to pay a super income stream based in part on the contribution recently made, any notice he gives to the fund will be invalid.

He’ll be unable to claim a tax deduction for the $25,000 contribution.

But if he had submitted the notice of intent before starting the pension, he would have been eligible to claim a $25,000 tax deduction.


Beck makes a $15,000 contribution to super in June 2018 to save for a house deposit.

The following September she starts house-hunting and applies for release of the $15,000 under the First Home Super Saver Scheme.

She accidentally declares she does not plan to claim a tax deduction of the $15,000 contribution.

In March 2019 she buys her first home using the FHSS-released amount towards the purchase.

In June 2019, when catching up on her tax, she submits a notice of intent in order to claim a tax deduction.

The notice is invalid because the fund no longer holds her contributions the tax deduction is denied.

This is complex, but as you have just read, the cost of getting it wrong can be the loss of all or part your tax deduction. Tread carefully.

To ensure you don’t lose valuable tax deductions, email Steve Blizard [] – always check with your adviser first. Or phone our office on [08] 9379 3555.






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s